Monday 17 January 2011

Lamb Ragout recipe

The rain starts to fall, a drop at a time but before long it's bucketing down as if gods sink had blocked and in a desperate attempt not to flood the heavens he's got every saint and sinner chucking buckets of water on to earth - so I cook and let him get on with it.

Lamb is, it has to be said one of my favourite meats. I wasn't too keep on it as a child but I can still remember where and when I feel in love with it. For those who know me and have dined with me know I love small, quirky, independent restaurants, especially French ones. It was in one such restaurant on Berwick street in London where the love affair began and in no better format than that of a shank. Lamb is at it's best around early summer, after giving them time to graze (at their on pace), allowing their meat to develop flavour. So when it's "out of season" slow cooking is my preferred method as it really draws out the full flavour. My executive decision of the day, there has to be one in every day, was to have lamb on the menu. This is a great winter warmer, simply yet full of flavour and mmmm oh so moreish!!

You need;
1kg lamb shoulder
4 medium onions
small glass of white wine - keep the rest for dinner ;)
4 garlic gloves
2 large tomatoes
400g white beans (or similar)
1pt water
bouquet garni - I like to use it fresh from my herb garden but I also have the bought version in my cupboard for the winter months when my herb garden has wilted - which I used today
olive oil

Prep
Tim the lamb of excess fat and cut meat up into chunks
Slice up the onions
Chop the garlic cloves
Peel, seeded and chop the tomatoes - if you want to know the best way to do this check out instructions on my post "homemade pasta with sausage and chili tomato sauce"

Heat 2 Tsp of oil in a large pot then add the chunks of lamb and brown all over
Remove lamb for pot, reduce heat and throw in the sliced onions
cook onions until they are soft, stirring regularly - 10 mins or so
Add the wine and water (sounds like something from the bible)
Add the chunks of lamb again, with the bone - this helps give a great flavour and it's also a special treat for my dog :)
Add the garlic, bouquet garni and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper
Sit back with a glass of wine and let it simmer for an hr or so.
Then add the beans and again leave to simmer for another hr or so.
Remove the bouquet garni and your ready to serve.

This is great with rice or mashed potatoes but equally as good on it's own

No comments: