Saturday 26 March 2011

Bolognese recipe



ooh the aromas filling my kitchen and mu subsequent senses are tantalising to say the least! My bolognese has been on the stove no for, oh .... 40 mins or so. One of my favourite slow cook dishes, especially for large batches as it's just so versatile to use, spaghetti bolognese, shepards pie (well a beef version), stir in some dark chocolate (yes I said it!) and some kidney beans and serve with nachos or simply eaten with flat bread over a bottle of fully bodied red wine with friends :)
Everyone has their own version of this great classic and here's mine, in bulk version of course - it's a great dish to freeze and use later.

some ingredients;
2 big carrots (finely chopped)
2 large onions (finely chopped)
3 celery sticks (finely chopped)
2 bay leaves
a glass or 2 of red wine ;)
1.2kg mince beef
1.6kg chopped tomatoes (I prefer this to passata)
ooh and a nice big knob of butter

Now, in a big pot over a medium heat melt the butter
add the onion and let it soften, almost translucent
add the carrots and celery and stir over the heat for 3/4 mins
turn the heat up high!
break in the mince beef and seal it all over
In goes the tomato and your wine - give it a good stir and then some
in with the bay leaves
pinch of salt to enhance those
another big stir, lid on, reduce the heat to a low
the longer the better but a good 3 hrs will do ...... if you're anything like me you'll be nibbling away throughout so have some bread :)

Oh, don't forget to remove the bay leaves when you're done! :) 



1 comment:

Denis said...

Nice picture! Is that the sauce you were talking about? I can almost smell it by just looking at it. By the way, I should probably add the same remark I presented to you yesterday. I have lived in Italy for my first 28 years, and I can assure you I have never heard of Bolognese sauce. True Bolognese in Italian means "from Bologna" (Bologna is one of the most beautiful town in Italy), but I think what they mean here in UK by Bolognese is what we, in Italy, generally refer to as "Ragu' Sauce" (pronounced Ragoo). Anyway, it doesn't really matter what it is called, what matters is that the smell is amazing. Good on you Ciaran.