Monday 20 September 2010

Arroz al Horno - rice in the oven

The last week or so has been inspiring, supporting and nothing short of exciting!!

Firstly I have a Spanish tenant - when building your own business you need to be very resourceful and I decided to rent out my spare room. Susana, my tenant, is a true joy to have around. Not only does she love food and consequently my cooking but she also brings a different dimension to my life. Never before have I had someone stand behind me, watching and taking notes of every dish I prepare. To add to this, as she is here learning English, I also need to describe what I'm doing in the clearest way possible so that she understands the recipes. She has said that she came to London to learn English but is delighted to have not only learned English but also had copious cooking classes too!! Though I wasn't letting here away with just taking my recipes, I wanted some of hers too!! :) Not only to learn some of her national and regional dishes but also to savour the beauty of being cooked for - it's a rare treat for me and were it not for my sister in law Maria (who's south American cooking I adore) it would be rarer than rare - blue in fact!! Under my watchful eye, Susana has prepared the classic Tortilla de Patatas Fritas, Arroz al Horno and, uncharacteristically, a Lasagna. Susana is a self professed disaster in the kitchen but I found her care free "add some of this to a bit of that" attitude to cooking rather intriguing and I must confess all dishes were simply delicious!! The Arroz al Horno - translated means "rice in the oven" - is a dish from Valencia, Susana's home town. Don't let the name fool you, this dish is more than just rice! I wanted to share this wonderful recipe with you but Susana doesn't work with quantities so I need to prepare it myself and write down the correct quantities before I share it with you :) I'll post the recipe in a few days

I wish I could say with all sincerely that life as a caterer was a glossy as cooking up some delicious dishes for people and tasting other peoples food creations but, alas, it is far from that. There have been many weeks trying to build or follow up on leads for events with what initially appears to be little response. It's to be expected, calling in the caterers is not something that you do every day. However by the end of this week I was genuinely humbled by the support of those I had discussed Edesia Caterers with and their proactive interest in building the business, drawing on their own contacts and embracing me and Edesia Caterers into their circles. Frances who runs Sanglier Wines, a wine merchant dealing directly with wines from the south of France and in particular the Languedoc region, was just one. Our businesses share the same business ethics which is why we are affiliated. If you care for good wine, responsibly source from a wine merchant with personal relationships with the vineyards then Frances at Sanglier Wines is definitely someone to keep in mind. She has an offer on some wines at the moment which I'd highly recommend, check out this link if you're looking for wines with a difference http://www.sanglier-wines.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Special002

One special thing that came out of this week was that Edesia Caterers will be getting involved in our first charity event. The event, held on the 31st October, is the first of it's kind in London. Cupcake Camp London, is an open to the public event with what will probably be the biggest cupcake event ever!!! (don't quote me on that :) ) From Edesia Caterers, I'm donating cupcakes for the event which is to raise money for the North London Hospice. There is also a cupcake competition, with 6 different categories to enter into which I'll be submitting a special entry for - I think I've a winner on my my hands but I'll reveal what it is the day of the competition :) Check the event out at www.cupcakecamplondon.co.uk - put it in your diaries and make sure you get down there!! It's a very worth cause and bound to be a lot of fun and really!!?? who can resist a cupcake camp!!!

Speaking of which, back to my mixer I go to get the perfect cupcake!!

1 comment: