Friday 10 September 2010

Quiche Lorraine recipe

It's been a busy two weeks, for many of us. What with the August holidays coming to an end, getting ourselves back into the swing of our work routines and dropping the kids off to the first day of school term, transport strikes and the likes.  I laughed when I heard one friend describe the reaction of her son as she drove up to the school front, "oh no, not this place again", he moaned! A classic line, I had felt the same, deep in my gut at the beginning of each school term but had not the courage to ever let it pass my lips - or did I? No doubt my mother could recall, though the advantage to being from a large family of 8 is that as adults, though she remembers things being said or happening, more often than not she can't recall exactly who where the culprits :)

As for not being able to recall things, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep tabs on who comes and goes from my house. The thought of putting a sign-in sign-out book had crossed my mind but then again how anal can someone really get!!! Don't get me wrong, that is in no way a complaint, I love a full house. The hustle and bustle, the constant chatter and laughter and of course, food being prepared and eaten!! Take last Friday for example where I had a busy morning costing out some recipes for Edesia Caterers with full expectation of having a friend pop in for afternoon tea and later family over for dinner. It was to be a simple Quiche Lorraine and salad for dinner and I thought I should whip up something sweet at some point too, considering I had a stream of visitors over the next 24 hrs. There had been a carrot cake on my mind for the past 3 days. You know that constant niggling feeling, that little craving deep inside, the one the harder you try to push away the strong it comes back, eventually resorting to playing visual mind games with you, where by the book you are reading suddenly becomes a carrot cake, moist and rich with the sweet aroma of carrot, cinnamon and walnut filling the air you breath. Well that's what I had, and no longer could I put up with the embarrassment of longing looking at a book while sitting in my local cafe, mouth open, on the verge of salivating (had I not forgot my manners) so carrot cake it was going to be.

Now the art to life is timing. From being in the right place at the right time with the right attitude, albeit not always an easy feat but that's why it's so important to start each day focusing on the positive we have been blessed with. The same goes for food and my day had been planned out to incorporate my guests timings and my own work. However, flexibility in life, especially in a cosmopolitan lifestyle, is also key, as I undoubtedly found out this very day. A panic phone call from my afternoon tea guest profusely apologising but in desperate need of a cake, as she herself had a dinner party to attend after our catch up. Well I knew what I had to offer and that it would go down a treat at her dinner party but to have it all ready, including cooling time for icing the cake so it could travel and stay in one piece plus have dinner ready was going to be a challenge. I couldn't leave a damsel in distress, now could I!?

I would like to be able to say it all went without a glitch but I would be lying. In a desperate attempt to get the cake to cool down as quickly as possible so I could ice it and have it set and ready for travel I removed it far too soon from the cake tin and it FELL APART!!!!!! Needless to say my guest, who had arrived at this point, was in fits of laughter at my miss fortune - and what could have been hers!!! But here's the beauty of icing!! it can cover up a million sins, and create a few new ones too. So like a child's big piece jigsaw I pieced the cake back to one and let cool on a wire rack. A while later it was iced and boxed and ready to go and no-one, except myself and my friend (and now you incidentally), knew any different. I hear it went down a treat at the dinner party. Hurray!! :)

Now in between all this I had a Quiche Lorraine  to prepare, which needed use of the oven 3 times!!, twice for blind baking the pastry and once for the final bake, at a different temperature to the cake too, so they had to play musical ovens, so as to speak. But all in all it was a success. The quiche was divine, here's the recipe so give it a try.

Quiche Lorraine recipe - serves 4

Shortcrust pastry recipe (or you can buy ready made shortcrust pastry)
You need;
170g plain flour
100g butter - at room temperature
salt - just a pinch
1 egg yolk
ice cold water

Sift flour with salt in a large bowl
With your fingers rub the butter through the flour until all the butter is incorporated - it should then look similar to a bowl of breadcrumbs - kids love this part so get them involved!
Beat the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of  the water
Pour the egg/water mixture over flour/butter and mix to a firm dough
Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate for 30 mins
Roll your dough out and line your flan tin (8 inch) with it - again refrigerate until dough is firm
In a preheated oven of 200 degrees blind bake your pastry

wet

For the filling you need;
a nob of butter (roughly 10g)
1 large onion - sliced
80g of bacon - roughly cut
150ml milk
150ml single cream
2 eggs - beaten
1 egg yolk
60g cheddar cheese - finely grated
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
salt and pepper to season

In a sauce pan over a low heat melt the butter and add the onion
Cover with a lid and cook until onions soften - do not over cook the onions
Then add the bacon and cook through - but again do not over cook the bacon, they should be cooked through but not browning
When cooked remove from the pan
In a bowl mix together the rest of the ingredients and season
Put bacon and onions into your baked pastry case and pout over the egg/cream mixture, filling it to the brim
Place quiche in lower part of a preheat oven at 170 degrees for 40 minutes

tip: different ovens vary so make sure the filling has set

Great served hot or cold with a fresh salad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! - and I *DID* laugh - reading that story's made me laugh all over again. Thank you, as always, for saving my butt. The cake was delicious and the afternoon preceeding it with both your company and the hurried icing, a joy! xxXxx